Hayden is so very, very excited to start getting his lunch served at school!! Public schools here are mandated to serve his specialized diet and serve him a gluten free lunch!!! To Hayden this is as close to "going out to eat" as he has gotten in almost FIVE years.. In March he will have been GF for five years... Hard to believe myself! So as you can imagine this is huge for him! Sawyer will receive the same, but he is so very picky, I'm sure he will choose to bring his lunch still.
I spoke with the school dietitian about their menu and Hayden and I went over it with a fine tooth comb over break. We get to add and subtract his favorites, like not combining the ham and scrambled eggs, serving them separately. Serving a slice of cheese with the burger patty on Wednesdays. Replacing pears with peaches, that type of thing.
I also caught a couple of their mistakes. They had on there serving them Sun Chips!! Wow.. a dietitian.. well she is human, but I luckily have a bag here and read her the ingredients and it plainly said whole wheat right on there, plain as day! Glad I went over everything. I know Hayden sure knows better, but hopefully I got everything right. She did go over other things, we talked for a half an hour! The only big problem we ran into is Ranch dressing. Hayden loves Ranch with everything, chicken, burger, pork and salad. Their Ranch is not "special" we call GF ... so I have to send a side of Ranch with him to school everyday. That really stinks because it needs to be refrigerated and they can not keep outside food in their fridge at the school ( I asked the dietitian). So I need to find something small to send it in that keeps it cold, or he takes a whole lunch box just for the ranch.. IDK just yet..
This all starts next week, he is counting down the days! One more way to try and fit in with the other kids! Down here the lunch and breakfast meals are all free, so hardly anyone brings a lunch.
No comments:
Post a Comment