Sawyer being just a little five year old boy has always been wild. Into everything and quirky, fun, well... I would describe him as a prankster. I have discussed on this board how he has antics, between his post it's, petroleum jelly, gluing everything down to the office floor, pulling the chair out from under the teacher, filling the t-ball helmets full of dirt to watch the other players dump them on their heads.. the list goes on forever!!
Over the summer, Sawyer has been spot on with his "antics", it has been very difficult and causing rivalry with his brothers, and ticking them off. Although, Sawyer got punished, it didn't matter. He has always been this way, he has been a runner in stores, in parking lots, and just one of those kids. We have a rule because of Sawyer. Hold on to carts in the parking lot and DON'T let go for this reason. The other boys (including younger Sylas) can stay with us and not wonder or run off. Then the tantrums. O.. H , M Y GOODNESS!! The tantrums.. Flailing, screeching, the body thrashing, and you know it if Sawyer is upset! The whole world better watch out!! Even in public, he will throw himself again shelves, the floor you name it, he does it... I ignore it and move on.. let him get up and come with us when he is done.. If I respond it gets worse.
To the point, my normally happy go lucky, always giggling, joking, playing and rambunctious little Sawyer... I decided since he seemed to be the butt of complaints from his brothers this summer, I brought him to the psychologist office where his brothers all seem to be talking to this doctor about him.. This doc wants to see who this boy is they all blame everything on..
August 26, 2011... Sawyer had just turned six a week prior..
He meets Sawyer and talks with him. Sawyer responds to the doctors questions and he would if any stranger would talk to him, he growls or rolls his eyes. I gave the doctor his full history and behaviors. He let Sawyer play with some toys while we talked. He watch him play. Sawyer built a "tower" with the doll furniture.. He was so proud of how tall he built his tower. Every peice of the doll house furniture was stacked so high up it was taller than this two story doll house. Sawyer jumped up and down in excitement. He went over to interrupt our conversation and yanked on the doctors arm. Did not say a word to him, yet just yanked , made a groaning noise (in excitement) and pointed.. Yes he talks, but wouldn't talk to him.
So the doc and I continued to talk after he told Sawyer what a good job he did and Sawyer went off to play with hand puppets next. Soon after he comes back to bite the doctor in the leg with the puppets interrupting again, and again.. He starts growling at the doc more and more..
So this doctor is clearly seeing something here... I am getting a bit uncomfortable knowing darn well what is coming soon..
We finished discussing Sawyer's history and the doctor kept asking me questions on things he does and doesn't do. How delayed his speech is etc..
Sawyer is a very happy boy, I know I'm in PURE denial and have been for a VERY long time.. How can we really have THREE kids on the autism spectrum..
Here we go, he says it, Sawyer has Asperger's , I had already filled out the forms it screams loud and clear he is well on the spectrum, the doctor explains to me how when he builds the furniture straight up into the air is not typical behavior with doll house furniture. Through playing he sees clear signs, through communicating (growls, grunts) more signs, I know I look back and see it has been there for a long time.. I just am shocked I have three boys with Asperger's still, they are ALL such very different types.
I asked the doctor WHY are they all so hard to see and not typical AS symptoms you read about?
The doctor answered this so easily..
"You can have 200 people in one room, not ONE of them will every be exactly the same"
That's it, it clicked"
DUH I know that, of course now, just like no two snowflakes are the same. My babies are not clones, they are human, they are very individuals like any other human beings...
Each have their own personalities, I love all my children no matter what!
We WILL get through all of this!
At the end of the day he is still my silly little Sawyer! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment