Nathan-20, Dakota-17, Bryce-16, Wyatt-13, Hayden-11, Sawyer-8, and Sylas-6

  • Nathan-19, Dakota-16, Bryce-15, Wyatt-12, Hayden-10, Sawyer-8, and Sylas-5

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Dealing with death as a child

Bryce had to deal with death too much lately. First it was my mom Dec. 2008. They were close. Now it was his PawPaw. They had a special bond. Bright was what he called Bryce. He couldn't say Bryce and that name just stuck. I remember him always sneaking Bryce pieces of gum from his front pocket, Bryce snuggling on his lap watching TV together, they were two peas in a pod. I will miss him so much too. I decided to take Bryce to his funeral up in Michigan for closure.
Bryce is a very compassionate, sensitive kid. He takes most things right to heart. He has dealt with so much in his twelve years, that one more thing just was not what he needs right now. Death, is something nobody can control, so closure is something I can give him, so I will and did. It was an emotional funeral, he was such a wonderful person, we held each other and just cried. Very touching and emotionally needed.
Something that was not expected was another decision Bryce decided to make while we were there, was about his biological father. He chose to let go. He has always worshiped him and looked up to him, only to be let down over and over. He saw the light this past weekend. To be twelve and finally see the truth in a person, even though it's not a good truth and to stand up for yourself is a huge milestone. Bryce grew up right before me in many ways on his own. He has known for many years how hurt he has felt, I tried to protect him. He has seen the light and I am so proud of the way he did it without a scene or disrespect. I guess Bryce has learned a lot about life lately, we laughed, we cried, we hugged and we smiled. I guess my little boy has a good head on his shoulders and can think for himself. I just hope as a mother I have done the best I can with what I had to work with. Being hurt over and over by his father and emotionally ruined by that, it looks like he has come out strong enough to say I don't want your crap anymore and I can see through this now. Did I mention how proud I am :).... I am glad HE did this on his own and I can stop always hiding and protecting him from the pain. I can just hug him and tell him I love him and WE are here for him.
Either way, it was an eventful weekend and we made it through strong as ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment